Sunday 14 December 2014

School Graduation Button Quilt

For the past 2 months I have been helping a Year 6 class at St Bernard's Primary School to make a button quilt. Yes, my daughter is in the class and obviously has told her teacher that I am a quilter, so I know exactly how it started. :)

But anyhoo, I donated some beautiful Kona solids, cut into 8 1/2" squares and some batting cut into 9" squares. I had sheets on how to sew on  buttons and I brought along some variegated Pearl 8 thread.

My first lesson with them was designing their blocks. What surprised me the most was the enthusiasm they showed in working out their design and the variety of designs was fantastic.

I had a total of 55 squares of fabric and 5 blocks of 11 colours. Each student had the opportunity to choose the colour they wanted for the block. We also had some button sewing lessons.

I received the completed blocks and it was my job to piece them together and finish off the quilt for their Graduation Ceremony.

The result of their hard work was a beautiful rainbow button quilt. It reflects the personality of each child in the Year 6 class. It was wonderful to see the joy on the children's faces when they saw the completed quilt for the first time. Everyone in the class wanted to see where their finished block was.

Finally, it has been a privilege to help the Year 6 class to make their graduation quilt. I am proud of their efforts. I hope you can see the joy in their quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment